Pages

Saturday, June 14, 2008

My Brain still hurts

I got the bright idea to register for the Middle School Math Praxis.

Why, you ask?

Because I am a math nerd and, well, I need another thing to add to my nerddom, nerdhood, nerdiness, whatever....

No, really because I *heard* that with passing the math praxis I *might* be able to one day teach algebra. And being the good math nerd that I am I jumped on that.
(Ok, kiddos, don't get too excited. as of right now I am still teaching 7th grade math. There is NO talk of me teaching anything else at the moment)

Anyway, the test was today. Ask mark, kari, or brandy and they can tell you that I was a lil bit nervous this week. I pulled out the algebra I and 8th grade math books to review anything that I might have forgotten. I looked at online practice tests. Most of the stuff I knew. A few things I had to go back and refresh my memory on (factoring quadratic trinomials, anyone?). I felt a little like Hermione. All week I kept pulling out the book or my notes and looking up a formula or working out 'one more problem'. A couple of times I freaked and drew a blank and ended up sending Kari a txt of the problem. (and it was usually a stupid mistake on my part as to why I missed it)

This morning I doubled checked ONE MORE TIME that I had my admittance ticket, my 2 pencils (no mechanical ones dangit), my ink pens for the constructed response questions (for math? WHY do I have to use a pen? yes, there were a few scribbles on my answer sheet), and my calculator. We got to the test place early and there was already quite a few people waiting. I got checked in, sent to the correct room, lined my pencils up ready to go, and mentally went through some of the formulas that I had gone over in the car. *coughHermionecough*

The test was two hours. 40 multiple choice questions and 3 constructed response (CR). CR problems mean they give me a problem and it has 4 or 5 parts to it that I have to not only work out, but explain how and why. (have you seen my handwriting when I am in a hurry?)

I think I got most of the 40 questions right. there were a few that I wasn't sure about and a couple that I had no idea how to do.*educated guess*

I started on the first of the three CR and did ok on the first two parts of it then completely drew a blank. As in - "I'm gonna throw up bc I have no idea" kind of blank. So I skipped it and went on. I had an hour at this point. Feverishly working, I got through the other two CR questions. (with only a little bit of BS-ing on them).
With 15 minutes to spare I came back to the first CR question and it was like a light bulb had gone off. I don't know if what I wrote was all correct, but I finished the last part about 30 seconds before time was up.

WHEW. I am still exhausted.

Now I have to wait four weeks for my results.

Now a little math humor



sigh.......



On another topic-I've decided to re-read all the Harry Potter books in sequence. It's been a while since I've read the first few. It's amazing to see how she tied the last one back to the first.

No comments: