Pages

Thursday, March 05, 2009

It's all Barbie's fault

Have you heard this one? A West Virginia lawmaker wants to ban the sale of Barbie dolls. Here's what the article said:
His bill, HB 2918, would make it illegal to sell Barbie dolls "and other similar dolls that promote or influence girls to place an undue importance on physical beauty to the detriment of their intellectual and emotional development." (go here to read the rest)

First of all, I played with Barbie (and still collect them) and not once did I look at Barbie and think that she had the ideal body. What's amazing is that even though I played with Barbie I developed quite well emotionally and intellectually, thankyouverymuch.

Seriously, I think what is more detrimental to girls and their body image are the magazines that post a picture of Jessica Simpson calling her fat or all of the hoopla over Oprah gaining weight (zomg! Oprah "ballooned" to 200 pounds!) or any other article that thinks it's ok to make comments about a woman's body. Also, other girls are more detrimental on body image than Barbie. Girls are brutal! But they didn't get that way because of Barbie.

When I first heard about this idiotic legislation my first thought was PLEASE! Give me a break. Really, with everything going on in this world, Barbie is the thing this guy decides to target?

2 comments:

bb mumblings said...

my theory based in pure conjecture: thie sponsor of this bill has a daughter who is majoring in "women's studies" somewhere like bryn mawr. ahem.

sandi said...

One article I read said he has a 13 year old SON.....

ahem.