Pages

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Cell

I used to be a Stephen King fan.
Now, wait a minute, let me explain.
Back in junior high and high school I was a huge Stephen King fan (the Body is still one of my favorite stories.) but a couple of things happened as I moved to college. 1. The stories were starting to get a little too creepy- though I think it was more me changing than the stories. and 2. I discovered Danielle Steele (even then I rolled my eyes many times reading her books. Why are all of her female leads slim or petite? *rollseyes*)
I have since moved on again to adolescent fiction/fantasy.

But I saw Cell for sale in a Book Warehouse and I remembered reading the good reviews from my fellow posters on the Rotten Tomatoes website, so I bought it.
I was not disappointed....well, I was at the end but I wont tell why.

Cell is the story of a Pulse that hits cell phone users tunring them almost zombie-like. Except they actually start becoming a single mind of sorts. The "normies", the ones who did not have cell phones at the time, can only travel at night and try to avoid the "phone crazies". The story mostly follows Clayton Riddell as he tries to get back to Maine to his son and estranged wife. He doesn't know if they have become one of the crazies. He meets up with three other people and they look out for one another and become sort of a family on the journey.
When they kill a flock of the crazies they become outlaws and they discover another group of normies killed a flock and became outlaws as well.
I liked this book. It is funny/creepy in the same way as Dawn of the Dead and Shawn of the Dead. The last third of the book is probably the best. But I was left wanting-needing!- more at the end. I hope, but seriously doubt, for a follow up to this one.
I want a conclusion, darn it!

No comments: