Pages

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Eragon

I read Eragon by Christopher Paolini the for the first time when it was first out a couple of years ago. Since getting Eldest I wanted to revisit ERagon to refresh my memory before beginning it. For those of you unfamiliar with these books, they are part of the Inheritance Trilogy. Paolini began writing Eragon when he was just 15 and it was released by the time he was 19. He writes with the maturity and knowledge far beyond his years. This is the story of Eragon, a poor farm boy, who finds a stone that turns out to be a dragon egg. It hatches and he becomes the newest Rider. There are many who either want him on their side or killed. His remaining family is in mortal danger because of this. He goes on a dangerous trek to find the Varden, a group of people determined to stop the evil Empire.
In my revist I realized that I had forgotten quite a bit and that the end was not how I remembered.
Paolini does a great job of drawing the reader into the story. I want a dragon of my own now! But he does tend to get a little wordy with the decriptions at times.
Overall-great, fascinating story. I am anxious to get into Eldest and follow Eragon and Saphira on their next journey.

No comments: